You want to know what a minimalibu is?
No problem. A minimalibu is a longboard in a shorter version. This makes the surfboard easier to manoeuvre, more forgiving during turns and much easier to control.
A Minimalibu is between 7 and 8 feet long and has a wider outline and nose. This makes the surfboard very stable in the wave and take-offs are easier to perform.
A Minimalibu offers you these advantages when surfing!
A Minimalibu offers you several advantages when surfing. We have listed them for you:
- High wave yield
- Good buoyancy
- High stability in the wave
- good planing behaviour
- forgiving surfing behaviour
- suitable for small waves
- easy take off
The wide outline of the surfboard makes it easy to take off, as the board is very tilt-resistant and therefore stable in the wave. The high volume and the length of the board let you catch and ride the waves with ease. You can easily glide around weaker sections of the wave and the board forgives you some mistakes.
With a Minimalibu you can surf the smallest waves and glide along them. A MINIMAL is a real all-round board and can be surfed in almost all surf conditions.
The Minimalibu is very different from surfing with a short surfboard. Here, the focus is not on radical manoeuvres, but on surfing in the flow of the wave. Clean turns to surf and learn.
These are the disadvantages of a minimalibu for surfing.
Where there are advantages, a minimalibu naturally also has a few disadvantages. Here we have listed them for you.
- difficult to transport, especially when flying (not as difficult as with a longboard)
- not suitable for radical manoeuvres and turns
- not suitable for steep waves
A minimalibu is difficult to transport and some airlines charge extra for transport.
A minimalibu can be surfed in many conditions, however, if the waves are too ropey, it is almost impossible to surf on them. Radical manoeuvres cannot be surfed with this board as the outline is designed for smooth clean turns.
Is a Minimalibu a surfboard for beginners?
A Minimalibu is the perfect surfboard for beginners. A MINIMAL guarantees a high wave yield and it can be surfed forgivingly. Because this shape is shorter than a longboard, it is easier to turn and perform manoeuvres. With a Minimalibu you will have the biggest learning curve and you will quickly improve your surfing skills.
The advantages at a glance:
- high wave yield
- perfect for beginners
- fast learning curve
- perfect for practising turns
What should you look for when buying a Minimalibus?
Buying a minimalibus should be well considered! The workmanship of the surfboard is definitely important. You should not make any compromises here. For stability, you should go for surfboards that are equipped with at least one stringer or are made in a special construction. Here, the sandwich construction or the construction methods developed by TORQ Surfboards stand out.
Furthermore, you should be aware that a Minimalibu is not just a pure beginner's board, but also offers a lot of fun for more experienced surfers on the small days.
You won't be surfing any radical manoeuvres with a Minimalibu - a hybrid surfboard or shortboard makes more sense for that.
Your height plays an important role in choosing your board.
As a rule of thumb you can say
Body height + 30 cm
Here we would like to list the most important points for you when deciding to buy a Minimalibus:
- How tall and how heavy are you?
- How is the Minimalibu made?
- Which waves do you want to surf?
- Where do you see yourself surfing in the next 2 years?
If you only have one board in your quiver and want to cover a wide range of waves, a Minimalibu is the right choice.
The length of a minimalibus is very important when deciding what to buy.
When buying a Minimalibus, you should definitely pay attention to the length. As a rule of thumb, you should take your height + 30 cm as a guide.
Heavy surfers should choose a board with a little more volume.
- If the Minimalibus is too short, you will surf fewer waves and the board will be too wobbly.
- If the board is too long, you can't turn it very well and you won't have fun with your board.
To find the right minimalibu for you, use our professional buying guide.
Which fin setup should I choose for a Minimalibu?
There are three important fin set ups for the Minimalibu.
- Single fin: You will find single fins in most longboards. Thanks to their size, they have a good drive. By positioning the fin in the fin box, you can change the surfing behaviour of your Minimalibu. The further forward you place the fin, the more manoeuvrable the board. For big waves, place the fin all the way back, which gives your surfboard more smoothness and control.
- 2 + 1: The 2 + 1 setup is also very popular with surfers. A single fin is supplemented with two small side fins (sidebites) to make the boards more performance-oriented, because the two small side fins give the board more hold in the wave wall, especially for down-the-line rides.
- Thruster: A surfboard with a thruster fin setup makes your board surf more controlled. This setup is perfect for beginners because turns and surfing behaviour are very controllable and forgiving.
We recommend a pure single fin setup for retro surfers. For more performance a 2 + 1 system and for beginners and all other surfers a Tri-Fin system with three fins.
A minimalibu is suitable for these waves.
You can surf a minimalibu in the following surf conditions. You can surf a MINIMAL in the smallest and weakest waves. Due to its length and volume, the surfboard glides easily and generates speed in the weak waves and sections of a wave.
You can really have fun with a Minimalibu in conditions around 2 - 6 feet. Here you can surf all manoeuvres and play with the wave.
A Minimalibu is suitable for:
- small waves
- medium waves
- soft waves
A minimalibu for children? Does that make sense?
The answer to whether a Minimalibu makes sense for children is clearly YES.
However, you should make sure that the boards are suitable for the size and weight of your child. The board should definitely not be too long, because then your child will not have much fun with the board.
How much does a Minimalibu surfboard cost?
You can find Minimalibus from a price of 200€. These surfboards are good for taking your first steps on a surfboard. These boards are usually very robustly built, which is at the expense of performance.
In the middle price segment around 350€, you can find quite decent minimal boards with good workmanship and solid performance.
From 500€, you get an absolute top model that guarantees you good performance on the wave and a lot of fun. If you love this sport, you should definitely look around in this price range - it's worth it!
- from 200 Euro - well suited for the first steps.
- around 350 Euro - solid workmanship and performance
- from 500€ Premium Minimalibus for real pleasure